I suppose the first question asked of me is how I came to be the way I am.
It even comes before asking my name, which is Nina. Nina Sheehan.
It even comes before asking my name, which is Nina. Nina Sheehan.
I’m not exactly called that anymore but let’s get to that later.
As you haven’t seen me I guess I’ll start by describing myself. I have auburn hair that is dead straight and extremely long, a funny little upturned nose and I’m 4ft 10 exactly in height. My weight is healthy but not slim and my skin is freckled across my nose, an affliction borne by most redheaded, fair skinned people like myself.
Now that you are imagining how I look I bet you are curious as to what’s unusual about me.
Well firstly let’s look past the fact that I have one dark brown eye and one blue eye and get to what REALLY makes me differant.
Have you ever had shivers when someone has stared at you without blinking? I would be that person staring.
I’m often off in my own little world you see but while I’m there I’m taking in, analysing. I can’t help myself.
I’m not psychic by any means but I give the impression without even trying.
I stare and pick up the clues most people miss, like the ink spot on a person’s finger about the size of a dust spec.
I’d gaze a little more and notice the book in the person’s hand as they read, it’s a classic novel.
Then I’d pick up the expression of complete concentration and deep thought on that individuals face as they stare at their feet after putting the novel on their lap.
I then watch that expression gradually become frustration. In the bag beside this person I’d spy the corner of a small notebook and note the lack of any large folders, student workbooks or laptop.
I’d also notice the lack of notepaper besides the tiny A5, dog-eared thing tucked away in the bag.
A little more analysis of the details and then bingo! That individual is a writer searching for inspiration from another authors work.
I’d gaze a little more and notice the book in the person’s hand as they read, it’s a classic novel.
Then I’d pick up the expression of complete concentration and deep thought on that individuals face as they stare at their feet after putting the novel on their lap.
I then watch that expression gradually become frustration. In the bag beside this person I’d spy the corner of a small notebook and note the lack of any large folders, student workbooks or laptop.
I’d also notice the lack of notepaper besides the tiny A5, dog-eared thing tucked away in the bag.
A little more analysis of the details and then bingo! That individual is a writer searching for inspiration from another authors work.
Even that isn’t extraordinary. “She’s observant” you might shrug.
This is very true.
The thing is though, whether I like it or not each observation is analysed in a matter of moments.
The final conclusion is often made within seconds and never takes over a minute.
The final conclusion is often made within seconds and never takes over a minute.
I can’t explain it but my brain never shuts off and never shuts up.
I’ll be walking and it will be telling me “salesman skipping work”, “shoplifter”, “brother and sister”, “Grandfather who has nothing to do with his grandchildren” and “wishes they had a girlfriend to hold their hand right now” as people walk past me.
I guess you could say my brain picks up everything to the tiniest detail and works at the rate of a regular person who has drunk 20 cups of coffee in one sitting to recall past observations. Then it draws the most logical conclusion based on those observations.
Even if I’m not observing I’m contemplating what’s been observed.
Even if I’m not observing I’m contemplating what’s been observed.
That is why when you talk to me I speak in a distracted monotone or gaze for long periods in total silence and then suddenly seem not to be able to focus at all.
This is what drives people nuts about me and, just so you know…It drives me nuts too.
It’s the reason my parents home-schooled me.
How did I get this way? I was struck by lightning when I was five, and it should have killed me.
Doctors gave me the all clear as they looked at each other totally perplexed.
Doctors gave me the all clear as they looked at each other totally perplexed.
It was later on that my parents noticed the change in me. Knowing I’d be a guinea pig the rest of my life, they decided to keep the discovery from the medical professionals who already wondered about my survival.
It was my parents who took me to Burtons Circus and, it turned out, allowed me to make my first ever friends…
hey this is going to be great I couldnt stop reading.but....does the main character bear any resemblance to anyone I might know???
ReplyDelete